Love, Life, Cooking, Crafts, and Everything in Between :)

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Homemade Autumn "Oreos"

As stated earlier, I made some homemade "Oreos" today. They came out pretty well! I first saw the recipe on Pinterest. It actually came from My Kitchen Addiction. They were time-consuming but super easy. I almost didn't finish making them because the dough was so yummy! :) I wanted to eat it all. I practiced a little self-control and stopped eating the dough so I would have something baked to share with Ryan later. :)

Cookie Recipe:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup dutch process cocoa powder (any cocoa powder will do)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
Frosting Recipe:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons half and half
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch of salt
  • 3 – 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, whisked to remove any lumps
Cookie Directions:
1. Beat butter and sugar on Medium until light and fluffly.
2. Mix in egg and vanilla.
3. In separate bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. 
4. Gradually mix in cocoa mixture on lowest speed until dry ingredients are just mixed in.
5. Divide dough in half. Wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate to chill for 1 hour.
6. After the hour of chill time, set oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit).
7. Roll the dough out over flour and cut an even number of cookies using whatever cookie cutter you wish.
8. Place cutouts on prepared tray (I used wax paper) and bake for 12 minutes (I only baked mine for 9 minutes).

Frosting Directions:

1. Combine butter, vanilla, half and half, and salt.
2. Slowly whisk in powdered sugar. (I colored my frosting orange in honor of fall!)
3. Scoop frosting into piping bag and pipe onto the bottom of 1 cookie.
4. Place second cookie on top of frosting (bottom of cookie on top of frosting) to create cookie sandwich.
5. Enjoy! :)





Delicious! :) Dip in milk and savor the flavor. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment