Love, Life, Cooking, Crafts, and Everything in Between :)

Monday, September 3, 2012

Chocolate Cream Pie

          My wonderful husband and I just celebrated his 26th birthday. I told him that we could go out for dinner to the restaurant of his choosing OR that I would cook him whatever his heart desired from dinner through dessert. He requested that I cook his favorite chicken (a little ranch chicken recipe we love), a side of mashed potatoes, and a chocolate cream pie for dessert.

          After much internet perusing I came across a recipe with far too many positive reviews to pass up (Epicurious.com). Though the start to finish process took longer than I originally anticipated it was well worth the finished product.
          Sorry for the picture's poor quality. I took it on my iphone not thinking I would share it with anyone but my mom. Anyhow, this is my finished product. I did use a store bought, frozen crust. The chocolate filling and whipped cream I made from scratch with love for my babe. :) Here is the recipe as presented on the Epicurious website:

For filling
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 5 oz fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), melted
  • 2 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

For topping
  • 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
The only thing I changed was the chocolate I used. I only had semi-sweet chocolate in my cupboards and thus used 7oz of semi-sweet in place of the 5oz of bittersweet and 2oz of unsweetened. The finished product was still delicious! The hubby (and everyone else who got a bite) loved it. :)

Here is a little snapshot of my lovely little family!
The handsome "little puppy" is our sweet pit bull Petey (cutest dog ever!)! The handsome guy on the right is my hubby. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment